Pickled Fish With Spicy Butter Roti
It’s Good Friday and Easter is around the corner, but are you tired of preparing your pickled fish the same for numerous years? Don’t worry, we’ve got a fresh and simple, yet delicious pickled fish recipe that will want everyone coming back for seconds!
You can enjoy this flaky pickled fish recipe with fresh hot cross buns or baked bread while the kids are having their traditional Easter egg hunt!
Let's get Pickling!
LK's Products you'll need:
- Snoek, Stokvis or Kingklip fillets, cut into large cubes (2 kg)
- Olive oil (2 Tbsp.)
- 4 large onions, sliced
- Fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 6 crushed cloves garlic
- Garam masala powder (1 ½ Tbsp.)
- Fresh or ground turmeric (2 tsp.)
- Fresh lemon or bay leaves (2 sprigs)
- Allspice powder (1 tsp.)
- Ground coriander (1 tsp.)
- Ground cumin (1 tsp.)
- Distilled White vinegar ( 750ml)
- Water (2 cups)
- Brown or white sugar (250 g)
- Salt and Pepper, to season
- Seasoned flour, to dust
- Canola oil, for frying (2 cups)
- 8 rotis, toasted in a pan
- 2 Green/ red apples, sliced
- 2 Chillies, sliced
- Coriander leaves, to serve
For the Malay Spiced Butter
- Cape Malay spice mix (1 Tbsp.)
- Salted butter (100g)
- For the Malay Spice Butter, in LK’s Cast Iron Skillet Pan, toast 1 tbsp. Cape Malay spice. Melt the butter into the toasted Cape Malay spice and leave it in the fridge until needed.
- In LK’s Bake Pot, heat oil over medium heat. Fry onions, garlic, ginger, and spices until golden brown.
- Over low heat, mix in the water, vinegar, and sugar, and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. In the meantime, add canola oil to a different LK’s Bake Pot. Gently dust the fish with the seasoned flour and fry in batches until lightly tender and browned.
- Add the fried fish fillets to the reduced pickling sauce. Make sure the fish is fully covered and soaked by the pickle sauce and leave it to marinate and pickle for a day or two.
- After 2 days, remove the pickled fish from the fridge and add garnish with bay leaves. Toast the roti’s and spread the Cape Malay Butter mixture evenly on the base of the warm roti. Add the crunchy sliced apples, pickled chili, and cabbage.
Fold, wrap and enjoy!
Did you know:
Homemade pickled fish that is stored in a refrigerator can last up to 4 to 6 weeks.
The best vinegar to use for pickling is the distilled white vinegar and it does not leave a tint on the food
- Oxtail Stew on the Braai
- Pizza Recipe
- Father’s Day Gift Guide
- Braai Safety Tips
- Biltong Potjie
- Mothers Day Gift Ideas
- Traditional South African Farmhouse Breakfast
- Bacon, Egg and Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- Bacon and Egg Buttermilk Waffle
- Pickled Fish With Spicy Butter Roti
- Bacon, Egg and Cheese Roll-up
- How To Use Your LK’s Smoker
- D.I.Y Braai
- Kettle Braai Pizza Ring
- Sweet Potato In The Coals/Fire