Mussels in creamy curry sauce
You will need
For the curry paste:
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cm knob ginger, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 10g fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded
- 20g baby spinach
For the mussels:
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 x 400g cans coconut milk
- splash of fish sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 5 dried lime leaves
- 2 tsp xylitol
- 3 kg mussels, scrubbed; beards removed
- extra fresh coriander, to serve
- extra chopped chilli, to serve
For the curry paste: Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.
Heat a potjie over medium coals, add the coconut oil and toss in the curry paste, cook for 1 minute, then add the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime
juice and leaves, and xylitol. Stir to combine, bring to the boil and add the mussels.
Place a lid on the pot and allow the mixture to come back to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 5–10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
Remove any mussels that have not opened.
To serve: Serve hot with fresh coriander and extra chilli.